Skip to main content

What to Bring

Depending on the complexity of your tax situation, getting ready for your tax interview may take just a few minutes or require quite a bit of time and effort. 

Here is a list of items most people need to bring. See what some of these documents look like on our Tax Documents to Bring page.

Identification and Review

  • Photo ID - Federal and State law now requires us to see your photo ID
  • Social Security Cards for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents if we did not prepare your return last year
  • A copy of your prior-year tax return if we did not prepare your return last year
  • Proof of health insurance - Form 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C, Medicare, or other proof

Income Statements

Deductible Expense Statements

Special situations

  • New to Oregon? Please bring your prior-year out-of-state tax return.
  • In the U.S. under a student or working visa? - Please bring your passport and Visa.

Complex Individual Returns

If your tax return is more complex, you may find it helpful to review and complete one or more of the tax organizers we have created for our clients to use.  They will help you identify specific income and deduction items that are pertinent to your situation so that you can bring this information to your interview.  Below is a listing of special situations that may apply to you and the appropriate tax organizers that apply.

Special Situation

Organizer to complete

Individual 1040 return Individual 1040
You sold your home Sale of Home
If you purchased a new home or refinanced an existing mortgage, you should bring a copy of your HUD or settlement closing statement to your tax interview. Home Buyer
You sold stocks, ESPP/RSU/ISO shares, or you traded Bitcoin or other cryptocurriencies Stock Sale
You lived or worked in a foreign country, or you have foreign income or foreign investments, including foreign pension accounts, bank accounts or brokerage accounts Foreign Income or Assets
You had income or expenses from renting a house/condo or vacation rental Rental Property
You have income reported on Form 1099-Miscellaneous, you are self employed or you had farm income. Self-Employment (Schedule C or F)


Business and Entity Return Information

For business returns we ask that you review and complete the appropriate tax organizer for your business type. If you don't understand, or are not able to fully complete the tax organizer, don't worry.  Just put together as much of the information you can and we'll help you do the rest.

We provide bookkeeping services for businesses that need assistance compiling Business Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet records.   If you would like us to prepare 1099-Miscellaneous forms for your business, we will also need you to provide us with completed Forms W-9 for each person you made payments too.


Business Tax Structure

Organizer to complete

Sole Proprietor/Single-Owner LLC Self-Employment (Schedule C or F)
Partnership/Multi-Owner LLC Partnership/LL 1065
S Corporation S Corporation - 1120 S
C Corporation C Corporation 1120
Estate or Trust - Fiduciary Return Fiduciary 1041
Non-Profit Organization Tax Exempt 990